Just to clarify and reinforce some of my opinion in "Illogical Statements," here's a bit of further comment.
1. In North America, there is no prohibition on access to birth control information
2. There is also no prohibition on access to actual birth control
3. Unless a person is living in the woods, there is always a way to get hold of birth control
4. In most places, there are agencies that provide free birth control to people who can't afford it
5. Most schools teach some form of sex education- which should not substitute for parents telling their children the truth and calling the parts by their correct names
6. With rare exceptions, people know how pregnancy happens
In light of the above facts, THERE IS NO EXCUSE for becoming pregnant if a person doesn't want to become pregnant.
Abortion is NOT birth control. It is an after-the-fact reaction.
Women DO have the right to choose
Women DO have the right to control their bodies.
Women who do little or NOTHING to prevent a pregnancy (No, the withdrawal method is NOT reliable) are NOT controlling their bodies or exercising their right to choose. They are ABDICATING both.
Women cannot have it both ways: they cannot bitch and moan about having choices but then not make every effort to act on those choices.
As for feminists who continue to make this an issue of "bad men," and patriarchy, I wish they would SHUT UP and start putting some teeth into their assertions that their bodies are their own.
On the issue of whether a foetus is human, there is absolutely NO question it is. There is no possible way for a woman to become pregnant by anything other than another human; therefore, the resulting foetus is a human. Not a potential human; a human, just a really little one. I don't care if it looks like a chicken or a duck or a monkey, it is a human because it was created by two humans, even if those humans never meet.
Anyway, that part doesn't really matter. What matters is how bloody willing some people are to hide their laziness behind their rights.
I also can't stand the retorical "backroom abortion" crap. Way back in time, when birth control information was not only limited but illegal, yes there were back room abortions. WE don't live in those times. Using that kind of fear mongering is total bullshit.
Here's the bottom line. You're an adult! Be responsible.
- If you don't want a child this year, go on the pill.
- If you don't want one in the next 5 years, get Norplant or something like it.
- If you are sure you never want one, go have your tubes tied. It is a 20 minute operation and guarantees, with rare exceptions, that no child will be conceived.
If you lay yourself down and have unprotected sex, you've abdicated your right to choose and to control your body. End of Story. And NO, the man is not as responsible for the act as you are. It is YOUR body. If you say you have the right to choose and you say it is your body to control, then don't worry about his body; follow through. It isn't the guy's fault.
It is YOUR body. Protect it BEFORE the FACT.